Thursday, July 2, 2009

nanny's scrapbook.


This is one of my favorite photographs of my grandmother. She had a penchant for writing the subject's name smack dab in the middle of the picture.
Here she has written her name, Joyce.
I have really been missing her a lot lately and she's been in my dreams. In the summertime, she was always outside~whether she was mowing the lawn (a constant habit), working in the garden, or just sitting on the porch smoking or shelling peas. I can just see her now walking in the back door in her flip flops to sit her tan self down in front of the window unit a/c saying, "Lord, it's hot!" She was an amazing and strong woman and I was a lucky girl to have a grandmother like her who spoiled me like crazy, always made me laugh, and made me feel so happy. Before she died in 2006, I frantically finished a scrapbook for her, which I let her write all over! I don't know how impressed she was by it (she wasn't sentimental), but it was nice to have around during her passing for people to see how beautiful she was and all she accomplished.

Here's a little video I made of my favorite pages:


3 comments:

The Musician's Daughter said...

i feel fortunate to have had the opportunity to look through your beautiful book. as a grandmother myself, i want nothing more than to have created happy memories for my babies! your grandmother will always live on in your heart...

jasmine said...

oh my gosh! that is so beautiful! your grandmother must have absolutely loved that scrapbook. what a nice keepsake for you to have. and i LOVE that she wrote the subject's name right in the middle of photos. it looks great in her handwriting. what is it about a grandma's handwriting?? it's always pretty!

Stina said...

What a beautiful scrapbook! Such a treasure. & the picture of your grandmother is stunning.

I miss my grandmother too, but I carry her with me in my memories & in my heart.